Welcome to Halling On-Line

The Community Centre, High Street, Lower Halling, Rochester, Kent ME2 1BS

Telephone & Fax (01634) 241551          Clerk: Mr W R Swan          Assistant: Trudi Smith
 
 

Halling Parish Council

MAY 12/01

Quick-Links

  Home Page 

Meetings

[ DRAFT MINUTES - to be confirmed at next meeting ]

Minutes of Halling Parish Council held on 10th May 2012 at the Community Centre

Present: Chairman: Daryl Palmer (DP), Vice-Chairman:

Trevor Reynolds (TR), Chris Herbert (CH), Les Hitchcock (LH),

Peter Wyatt (PW), Norman Godding (NG), Mark Joy (MJ) and Shelley Watson (SW)

W R Swan (WS) – Clerk; 8 members of the public.

1. To elect Chairman for ensuing year

Daryl Palmer was nominated by Trevor Reynolds seconded by Mark Joy.  There being no other nominations, DP was duly appointed and

2. signed the Declaration book accordingly.

3. Apologies – Hayley Winter (HW) and Richard Thorne (RT).

4. Minutes of last meeting

It was proposed by PW, seconded by NG, that the minutes were a true record of the April meeting.  All agreed and TR duly signed them in the temporary absence of DP.

5. Matters arising - none

6. Notification of Any Other Business

DP 2 items and WRS – 2 items.

7. Co-option of new Member

It was proposed by LH, seconded by SW, that Samantha Walsh (SW) be co-opted on to the Parish Council.  This was approved unanimously and SW signed the Declaration Book and took her place.

8. Election of Vice-Chairman and Portfolio Holders

It was agreed that the Vice-Chairman’s role should now include Policy and Strategy.  It was proposed by DP, seconded by PW, that Trevor Reynolds be appointed to the post of Vice-Chairman.  This was agreed unanimously.

Estates Portfolio Holder – LH was proposed by MK and seconded by PW

Footpaths – MJ was proposed by PW and seconded by LH

Planning & Development – RT was proposed by TR, and seconded by SW

Environment – PW was proposed by CH and seconded by SW.

As there were no other nominations for any of these posts all those proposed were duly elected.

9.  To appoint Members of Committees and representatives to other bodies.

It was proposed by LH , seconded by PW, that all positions remain the same for the ensuing year.  MJ agreed to act for HPC on the School Governing body.

12.  Bishops Palace  (item brought forward)

Rick Bayne of VoV gave a report on the latest situation:

The temporary fencing has been replaced with low timber fences.

The paths have been rolled again which it is hoped will solve the problem.  New landscape contractors have been appointed to replace the previous contractor who went out of business.

The sculpture and concrete pad should be installed in the week beginning 18th May 2012.

It is hoped that the site will be handed over to Medway Council by the end of June.

As regards the swing issues, any decision as to its removal rests with Medway Council.    The number of calls to the police have dropped which could indicate that thing are quietening down.  VoV are not being complacent about this and will continue to monitor the situation.

The wall on the lower level has been damaged by stones being removed.

He wished to remind residents that damage to historical monuments is a serious offence  The “Friends of Bishops Place” working party meets shortly and HPC will be invited to be involved with this.

PW said that youngsters are using the wall as a goal – a “no ball games” sign is necessary to protect the fabric of the building. PW also thought that Police patrols are needed at around 10 pm.  

MJ felt that the fencing on the embankment could be a problem for partially sighted people.

Rick Bayne said that he will take on board these requests.  DP thanked him for his attendance at the meeting.

21. Policing  (item brought forward)

PCSO Alan Hunter said that all calls are logged and forwarded to him. He understands he is now allocated to Cuxton and Halling but still on attachment to VoV.  WS is to contact his Sergeant to clarify the situation.

MJ raised the problem of Quad bikers in Chapel Lane.  Alan Hunter said that more surveillance is being carried out in this area.

10.  Dates of meeting for 2012/2013

These were agreed as per the handout.

11  Reports by Portfolio Holders

(a) Estates

LH reported that quotes for fencing repairs and play equipment bases in the Lower Rec. are awaited.

(b) Footpaths

MJ said that the main concern is cattle on the Marsh.  He will get quotes for signs to warn the public of this.

He is advising residents not to damage the fence on the path behind the school which is not an official footpath. He is in contact with the land owners about opening this path to the public.

(c) Planning and Development – no report                                                                             

                                                                                       

(d) Environment

PW said that although it has been raining constantly, there is still an official drought order in place.

13.  Jubilee Hall – no report

14. Halling Association

DP said that there was a meeting on 8th May.  He was sad to report that Catherine Smith will

no longer represent Medway Council on the Association owing to changes in her job.  HA has agreed to make a donation to the ex firefighters panto this year. 

15. Community Centre

LH reported that the caretaker Alan Dale had died suddenly whilst on holiday and HPC agreed to send a condolence card to his family.

16. FW12

TR said there had been no meeting recently.  The Community Centre committee has always provided the centre rooms free of charge in the past but now wish to charge 50% of the fulol hiring charge.  HPC expressed its concern at this proposal and hopes it will be revisited by the Committee.

17. Diamond Jubilee Celebration

WS reported that preparations are going well with Committee meetings being held weekly from now on.  The school has invited HPC to an assembly on 1st June when the coins will be handed out.  The winners of the Bunting competition will be going to Buckingham Palace on 4th July to present their designs.

The Co-operative Food Society has awarded a prize of £100 food vouchers and a box of Jubilee flags etc as a result of Trudi Smith entering an online competition extolling the virtues of Halling as a place to really celebrate the Jubilee.

The Morris Dancers have been booked which completes the list of performers on the day.  WS said that the funding for this event is still within budget.

18. Lafarge

DP has met with Daniels Daniels who told him that Lafarge had been given permission to merge with TARMAC subject to some premises being off loaded.  This will not affect Holborough.

19.  Redrow

The company has signed up to be members of the Halling Association. Cemex are still using silos for storage and Redrow are looking at other areas to rent out.

20. Highways and Transport

There is no report this month and it was agreed to take this subject off the agenda in future in view of the small number of reports over time.

22. White Pitt

DP said that HPC needs to get back into the site with Ben Cook in view of the wish to start conducted tours.  MJ raised the question of asking for donations from visitors to help defray expenses.  TR thought that it would be a good idea to have a “Friends of White Pit” .  All agreed and this will be discussed later.

               

23. Receipts and item 24 payments (See attached spreadsheet)

It was proposed by PW, seconded by LH, that the above payments be ratified.  HW and CH declared an interest and abstained.  All others agreed.

25.  Any Other Business

It was proposed by TR, seconded by PW, that HPC should make a donation of £100 to the ex fire fighters in addition to the Community Care award shield. All agreed with DP abstaining.

WS raised the Code of Conduct foe Members.  It was agreed that this will be dealt with at the next meeting when the Register of Interests will have to be signed.

DP asked if Members would agree to t he draft letter he will be sending to Ray Maisey.  A vote was taken with 7 for and one MJ against..

The Blue Walk arranged by Pat Lawry was well attended in spite of the very bad weather. 

                                                                                                    

Mr Wood, whose car was damaged by the Xmas tree, asked for an apology for the initial approach regarding his claim.  DP said that whilst it would be inappropriate to comment on anything where formal proceedings are taking place,  he was sorry if the wrong impression was given when attempts were made to resolve the issue amicably without the need for further action.  The matter is in the hands of HPC’s Insurers and Mr Wood’s Insurers.

Mr Wood accepted this apology.

Parishioners’ Questions

Among the questions raised by residents were the following:

  • Thefts of flowers in Cemetery
  • Cemex site clearance
  • Redrow grass cutting
  • Diamond Jubilee Celebrations

 

 

 


^^^ Up to top of page

Last updated ~ 7 June, 2012
Website problems? Please report any broken links to: webmaster.

Website maintenance by Clive Stanley Associates

All rights reserved.