Welcome to Halling On-Line

The Community Centre, High Street, Lower Halling, Rochester, Kent ME2 1BS

Telephone & Fax (01634) 241551          Clerk: Mr W R Swan          Assistant: Trudi Smith
 
 

Halling Parish Council

MAR 12/01

Quick-Links

  Home Page 

Meetings

[ DRAFT MINUTES - to be confirmed at next meeting ]

Minutes of Halling Parish Council held on 8th March 2012 at the Community Centre

Present: Chairman: Daryl Palmer (DP), Vice-Chairman:

Trevor Reynolds (TR), Richard Thorne (RT), Chris Herbert (CH),

Les Hitchcock (LH), Peter Wyatt (PW), Hayley Winter (HW),

Norman Godding (NG) and Mark Joy (MJ).

W R Swan (WS) – Clerk; 6 members of the public.

1. Apologies – Peter Wyatt (PW) who is unwell.

2. Minutes of last meeting

TR under item 7 the actual vote was 20 to 2.

WS – item 5 – HW represents Upper Ward not Lower Ward.

It was proposed by LH, seconded by NG, that the minutes were now a true record of the February 2012 meeting. All agreed and DP duly signed them.

3. Matters arising - none

4. Notification of Any Other Business

MJ 1 item; RT – 1 item; CH – 1 item and DP 1 item.

 

5 Reports by Portfolio Holders

(a) Estates

LH said that a report on the recs. has been received from Craigdene Ltd.  This has drawn our attention to a number of minor issues which need attention and the more major issue of the state of the safety surfacing.  It was agreed that quotes for both sets of work should be obtained and reported back to HPC.

(b) Footpaths

MJ reported that a fence has been put across the RS319 to protect walkers from the old railway crossing.  He will be taking this up with  Medway Council.  He will be investigating the track by the mound which is not an official footpath but is used by local residents on a regular basis.

(c) Planning and Development

RT reported as follows:

180 High Street, Lower Halling – rear extension

33 Pilgrims Road, North Halling – decking

RT has spoken to neighbours who have raised no objections in either of these cases.  Agreed that HPC does not object.

The Redrow Homes exhibition was attended by all HPC members.  It would seem to be an improvement on the previous application but concerns were raised about traffic problems which might be caused by the lcak of a second roundabout in the latest plans.  There have been positive moves from Redrow but HPC will have to keep a close eye on the Section 106 agreement and the pressure on Halling School. 

                                                                              

d) Environment

In the absence of PW, his report was read out by DP.                                            

6 Halling Fire Station

TR said that attention was now turning to the future use of  the premises.  HPC intends to pursue this and check on the actual ownership of the land.  MJ said that the Medway Messenger would like to run a story on HPC’s one time ownership of the land.  It was decided to do a Land Registry search and report to the Strategy meeting on 20th March with all necessary information.

LH drew Members’ attention to the “one-off” Community Care Award which is given by HPC to people/organisations who have done a great deal for the Village.  He proposed that a special award be given to the Firefighters of Halling in recognition of their sterling work over the years.  This was seconded by HW and agreed unanimously.

DP reported that the Firefighters will be having a farewell parade through the Village on their last day 31st March between 5 and 6 pm.

7. Jubilee Hall

MJ reported on the recent Committee meeting – the hall is still making a modest profit and quotes are being obtained for a new boiler.

8. Halling Association

DP reported on the recent meeting – it was agreed that HA would again meet the cost of a Christmas Tree for 2012. Also £250 has been awarded towards the cost of the Beacon for the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee Celebrations.

9. Community Centre – no report

.

10. Lafarge – no report

11. Youth Club

LH said that they are still running 2 classes so still need helpers.

12. White Pit

DP said that a group of volunteers had met up on 23rd February about opening up the circular path.  Approval has now been received for 20 nest boxes.

13 Highways and Transport – no report

14.  Policing

RT said that he would give WRS details of the Sergeant in charge of the PCSOs so that she can be invited to a future HPC meeting.

15.  Bishops Palace

DP read out Rick Bayne’s latest report. HPC Members have been

patrolling the area to see the Anti social behaviour at first hand.  It was requested that an urgent meeting be arranged with Nigel Holman of Medway Council to discuss the question of the swing.                                                                                    

16. Queen’s Diamond Jubilee

The Assistant Clerk, Trudi Smith ( TS) reported as follows:

LH is arranging a beacon which has been registered with the authorities

It was proposed by SW, seconded by LH, that the Parish Council pay for this under section 137 as it will be used for the good of the village in years to come.  This was agreed with TR abstaining and MJ voting against.

17. FW12

RT reported that a quiz had been held at New Town Social Club as the first event and had raided £96.00.  Good feedback on Facebook and things are proceeding well.

18. Halling School

MJ said that pupils had been involved in several sporting activities in conjunction with other Medway schools.

DP reported on the follow up to the History meeting at the school in December.  He met with Swan class recently and listened to their ideas and wishes for the Village.  These include a roundabout for the Upper Rec; pitch markings; rubbish clearance.  The school wishes to work closely with HPC in future and it was decided to invite pupils to the next meeting.

19. Rural Liaison Grant

RT said that he attended the recent meeting.  There was a discussion about guided walks in Medway and 6 Jubilee beacons have been paid for by Medway Council.  Halling was not mentioned.  HPC should ask Medway Council for some help.  WRS will contact Medway Council

20. Redrow Development – see under Planning and Development

21.       Receipts – none

22.      Payments

                                                                                               £

(a)    Ben Cook – grounds work                                     90.00

(b)   Sean Hannant-Smith – grounds work                       72.00

(c)   Total Property – fencing on White Pit                      85.00

(d)   Ben Cook – White Pit                                          120.00

(e)   Sean Hannant-Smith – White Pit                            96.00

(f)   Staples Direct  - printer and office consumables      260.42

(g)  Clive Stanley – web fees for Feb 2012                     38.50

                                FW12 design                             44.00

 Total for month                                                       805.92

   

It was proposed by TR, seconded by HW, that the above payments be ratified.  All agreed apart from CH who declared an interest and abstained.  

23.  Any Other Business

MJ raised the question of the notification of temporary road works which seem to crop up regularly in the Village. Take up with Medway Council.  The road markings at the junction of the Street and Vicarage Road need repainting.  Approach Medway Council

CH asked what HPC is going to do about dog mess. He will investigate the use of fluorescent paint to highlight irresponsible dog owners.  Other Council have reported improvements after using this.

DP Tackling Dog Mess was also one of the concerns raised by the school pupils.

Parishioners’ Questions.

Among the questions raised were the following:

(a) Water works

(b) Phone box at Halling Bottom

(c) Vicarage Close circle

(d) Cemetery Road

(e) Bishops Palace

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

ACTION

 

 

 

LH/WRS

 

 

 

MJ

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

WRS

 

 

LH

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

WRS

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

WRS

 

 

WRS

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

WRS

 

 


^^^ Up to top of page

Last updated ~ 2 April, 2012
Website problems? Please report any broken links to: webmaster.

Website maintenance by Clive Stanley Associates

All rights reserved.