Welcome to Halling On-Line

The Community Centre, High Street, Lower Halling, Rochester, Kent ME2 1BS

Telephone & Fax (01634) 241551          Clerk: Mr W R Swan          Assistant: Trudi Smith
 
 

Halling Parish Council

OCT 11/01

Quick-Links

  Home Page 

Meetings

[ DRAFT MINUTES - to be confirmed at next meeting ]

Minutes of Halling Parish Council held on 20th October 2011 at the Community Centre

 

Present: Chairman: Daryl Palmer (DP), Vice-Chairman:

Trevor Reynolds (TR), Richard Thorne (RT), Shelley Watson (SW),

Chris Herbert (CH), Les Hitchcock (LH) and Mark Joy (MJ).

W R Swan – Clerk; 6 members of the public.

1.  Apologies

Sarah Poole

2. Minutes of last meeting

It was proposed by TR, seconded by RT, that the minutes were a true record of the September 2011 meeting. All agreed and DP duly signed them.

3. Matters arising

RT – 9 (c)  the application for 135 High Street has been approved.

LH  -20  the trees are to be dealt with by Medway Council.

RT  -25 update on flagpole – SW has contacted Wards Construction who thought it was a very good idea but nothing heard back as yet.

4. Notification of Any Other Business

MJ 2 items; DP 2 items; Clerk 2 items.

5 Co-option of new Member

Peter Wyatt (PW) was proposed by CH, seconded by LH and Members supported this unanimously.   Peter duly signed the declaration book and took his seat.

6. Reports by Portfolio Holders

(a) Estates

LH reported that emergency repairs had been carried out by Total Property to play equipment in the Lower Rec. and to the notice board at Forge Green.

Two quotations have been obtained for work to gates and fences and after some discussion, it was proposed by MJ, seconded by RT, that the quotes submitted by MCL and Total Property be accepted.  The Clerk will now arrange for the work to be carried out.

(b) Footpaths

No report in the absence of SP but the Clerk updated Members on the latest situation re the RS 320.

(c) Planning and Development

RT reported on 3 new applications:

1st floor development at 4 Marsham Way;

The Bat survey at the Paddock has been completed and they have now applied to demolish the old building;

2 storey extension at 1 Mount Pleasant.

He will be visiting these sites and will report back.

          

7. Halling Fire Station

DP declared an interest and left the room.  TR as Vice-Chair took over the meeting.  It was proposed by TR, seconded by RT that

(1) the Parish Council declares its unreserved opposition to the proposal of the Kent and Medway Towns Fire and Rescue Authority to close Halling retained Fire Station from Spring 2012.

(2) A public meeting will be held in the Jubilee Hall on Tuesday 8th November at 1930 to enable all interested parties to discuss the proposals and

(3) All appropriate documentation be assembled in support of our opposition and a report be presented to the December meeting of the Parish Council prior to formal representations being submitted to the Kent Fire and Rescue Service and the Kent and Medway Towns Fire Authority in January 2012. This was agreed unanimously.

RT said that petitions are being circulated in both Halling and Cuxton.

MJ said that he had arranged for DP to meet Mark Reckless MP on 28th October.

DP then re-entered the room and took over the Chair.  

8. Jubilee Hall

MJ said that there had been no meeting to report on.

9. Halling Association

TR said the Association has agreed to pay for the Christmas Tree again this year.

10. Community Centre

TR reminded Members of the Billy Walton Gig on 4th November which is a combined effort between the Parish Council and the Community Centre. Tickets are now on sale at £4.00.

11. Lafarge – no report

12. Cemex  - no report

13.  Youth Club

LH reported that he has resigned as Chairman of the YC committee.  The second session will be closed as there are not enough adult helpers.

14.   Halling School

MJ said that there had been a full Governors’ meeting recently.  The building works had now been finished.

15. White Pit

DP reported that he has a meeting with Valley of Vision  on 21st October re the survey on the old buildings and a full wildlife survey to be paid for by the VoV.

16. Highways and Transport

TR said the Medway Valley rail line is now the 7th most improved

for passenger numbers in the UK.

RT and CH reported that Medway Council have resurfaced the new A228 roundabout and the pedestrian refuge has now been reinstated.

17. Policing

Sgt Martin Sharp and PCSO Graham Downes attended the meeting.

Sgt Sharp gave a talk on the new policing arrangements  starting on 16th November in Kent following the appointment of the new Chief Constable. The focus will be on neighbourhood policing which should mean more officers on the street.

18. Bishops Palace

DP said that the work seems to have slowed down.  He will be discussing this with VoV.

19       Receipts

(a)    FW11                                                                              £811.00

          

20.      Payments

(a)     Shelley Watson    Honorarium                              £60.00 

(b)    Castle Marquees   FW11                                    £144.00

(c)    BT       phone and broadband                             £160.35

(d)   Acorn Marquee Hire      FW11                            £1800.00

(e)   Paula Wilkins-Smith          Wages                          £35.00

(f)   Fay Sansom            FW11                                   £30.74

(g)  Paula Wilkins-Smith          wages and delivery          £95.00

(h)  Paula Wilkins-Smith     wages                                £45.50

(i)   Shelley Watson  - expenses                                  £37.40

(j)   Ben Cook – grounds work                                     £50.00

(k)  Clive Stanley – web fees for September                  £55.00

(l)  Total Property – work on play areas                       £698.20

(m) Paul Wilkins-Smith  wages                                     £36.75

(n) W R Swan  wages                                               £805.48

(o) Trudi Smith  wages                                             £427.00

It was proposed by RT, seconded by LH, that the above payments be ratified. Agreed with CH and SW abstaining.

21.  Any Other Business

MJ raised the question of Sure Start classes at Jubilee Hall.  MJ is to obtain more information from Sure Start in order that the Parish Council can ascertain if it can help financially.

The Clerk reminded Members that the Poppy Collection is nearly upon us and that help is need for the door-to-door collection in some parts of the village.

The annual subs for the CPRE are now due at £29.00.  It was proposed by TR, seconded by MJ, that the membership be renewed.  All agreed.

DP said that Halling was highly commended in the Social Action category of the Kent Village of the Year competition. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

ACTION

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  

 

Clerk

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  

 

 

 

RT

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

DP/TR/Clerk

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

DP
 



   DP

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

DP

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

MJ

 

 

 

 

 

 

Clerk

 
Parishioners' Questions.

Among the points raised by residents were: (a) Fire Station closure and (b) Shuttle bus during closure of Vicarage Road.

 


^^^ Up to top of page

Last updated ~ 28 November, 2011
Website problems? Please report any broken links to: webmaster.

Website maintenance by Clive Stanley Associates

All rights reserved.