Welcome to Halling On-Line

The Community Centre, High Street, Lower Halling, Rochester, Kent ME2 1BS

Telephone & Fax (01634) 241551          Clerk: Mr W R Swan          Assistant: Trudi Smith
 
 

Halling Parish Council

NOV10/01

Quick-Links

  Home Page 

Meetings

[ DRAFT MINUTES - to be confirmed at next meeting ]

Minutes of Halling Parish Council held on 25th November 2010 at the Community Centre

Present: Chairman Daryl Palmer, Vice-Chairman Les Hitchcock, Trevor Reynolds, Ray Jackson, Chris Herbert, Richard Thorne, Shelley Tilbury and Mark Joy.

W R Swan - Clerk and 3 members of the public.

1. Apologies

Apologies were received from Mitzi Richardson and Sarah Poole.

2. Minutes

It was proposed by Trevor Reynolds, seconded by the Vice-Chairman, that the Minutes were a true record and of the September and October meetings.  All agreed and the Chairman duly signed them.

3. Matters Arising  

Richard Thorne item 7(c) – nothing has been heard for Dave Harris of Medway Council following our letter of complaint.  It was agreed to write to the Chief Executive about this.  Richard Thorne and the Clerk will draft a suitable letter.

Chris Herbert – item 23 – a volunteer has now come forward for the Lollipop Person’s position at the school but Medway Council are saying that they wish to carry put a feasibility study before making any appointment.  It was proposed by Chris Herbert, seconded by the Vice-Chair, that the Parish Council approach Medway Council and ask them what is the position on the school crossing keeping the Head Teacher informed.  All agreed.  

4. Co-option of new Members.

There are two candidates who have been previously interviewed for the vacancies in Lower and Upper Wards, namely Shelley Tilbury and Mark Joy respectively.  It was proposed by the Vice-Chairman, seconded by

Ray Jackson, that Shelly Tilbury be co-opted for Lower Ward and Trevor Reynolds, seconded by

Richard Thorne, proposed that Mark Joy be co-opted for Upper Ward.  All agreed and the Chairman welcomed them both to the Parish Council.  They formally took up their places and signed the declaration book.   

5. Vacancy

The Chairman reported that Medway Council advises that because the next local election is less than 6 months away there is no need to fill the vacancy in North Ward.  He proposed, seconded by Ray Jackson, that the vacancy be left unfilled.  It was agreed that a letter should be sent to Frank Howard  thanking him for all his work on the Parish Council.

6.  Notification of Any Other Business

Richard Thorne – 2 items; Ray Jackson – 1 item; Chris Herbert – 2 items; the Clerk – 1 item and the Chairman – 2 items.

Reports by Portfolio Holders.

(a) Estates  

The Chairman said that the swing bridge in the Lower Rec. play area has been damaged and will need replacing.  Quotes are being obtained for this.  There is some doubt about the ownership of the trees in the Upper Rec. which back on to the houses in The Street. The Parish Council needs to check on this as they could be the responsibility of Medway Homes.  £250 has been allocated by the Halling Association for the Christmas Tree but having to buy one along with lights will bring this over budget. Trevor Reynolds proposed, seconded by Richard Thorne, that up to £150 be allocated from Parish Council funds under Section 137 to meet any shortfall.  All agreed with Mark Joy abstaining.  The Chairman thanked Total Property and the Community Centre for covering the cost of installation and electricity between them.

(b) Footpaths

The Chairman said that nothing had been heard about the RS320 apart from the fact that there has been an objection to the reinstatement of the path.

(c) Planning & Development

Richard Thorne reported as follows:

42-48 Rochester Road, North Halling – there are 7 objections to this from local residents.

1 High Street (service station) – the amendments to the plans have been approved.

Halling Primary School – the amendments to the plans for a conservatory have been approved.

28 Vicarage Close- the application for an extension has been resubmitted.

MC10/4119 43 The Street, Upper Halling single storey ext and change to garage – he will review this and report back.

The Paddock – work has finally started on the site.  The Parish Council owns a piece of land at the rear of this site as a result of the Halling bypass and  he and the Clerk will look at the land registry details and report back.  It was proposed by Chris Herbert, seconded by Richard Thorne, that the Parish Council should sell the land if at all possible and use any proceeds on play equipment for the Recs. 

8. Bank Accounts

The Clerk referred Members back to item 17 from the September 2010 meeting at which a decision was made to add more signatories to the account and remove old ones  As a result of this and the difficulties in the Co-op Bank not having a local branch, it was proposed by Trevor Reynolds, seconded by Mark Joy, that the Parish Council open a new account with the NatWest Bank who have a branch in Snodland and close the account with the  Co-op.  This was agreed unanimously.

9.  Halling Association  - no report

   

10. Community Centre

The Chairman said that the Community Centre has now confirmed that Trevor Reynolds is the new Parish Council representative on the Committee.  The Pensioners’ Christmas Party is on 18th December 2010.

11 Youth Club

The Vice-Chairman asked the Parish Council if it could help with claiming back VAT on major purchases which the Youth Club wishes to make.  The Clerk is to ask HMRC if this is allowable before any further action is taken.

12. Highways and Rail (See under item 3 for Highways).

Trevor Reynolds said that there is a possibility that Javelin Trains will run through Halling as the Medway Valley line will be used to connect Maidstone with the line at Strood.   Mark Joy queried the impact of these trains on local residents living near the line.  Trevor Reynolds said that he did not think that at the speeds they would be going on the Medway Valley line that this would be a problem but he will  keep the  subject under review. 

13.      Receipts

Various FW10 adverts                             £105.00

          

14.      Payments

(a)  Ben Cook      grounds work                                  £   55.00

(b)  Clive Stanley – web fees Aug/Sept                       £   60.50

(c)  W R Swan wages                                              £  805.48

(d) T & M BC – Print HV                                            £1047.20

(e) Audit Commission – accounts for 2009/10              £  470.00

(f) Medway Council – lottery registration                    £    20.00

(g) Total Property -  maintenance of various items       £   205.16

(h) Trudi Smith – wages                                          £   474.00

(i)  Clive Stanley – web fees for July 2010                  £     33.00

(k) Ben Cook – grounds work                                    £     60.00                                                                    

 
It was proposed by the Vice-Chairman, seconded by Ray Jackson, that the above payments be ratified. 

Chris Herbert abstained.

Chris Herbert raised the question of the Parish Council using approved suppliers and it was agreed that the Clerk should investigate this and report back.

The following payments were raised as a matter of urgency:

(a) Jubilee Hall - £35.00 for the hire of the hall for the Fashion Show.

(b) W R Swan - £19.90 for the purchase of printer ink

(c) Trevor Reynolds - £556.70 for the purchase of toner for printing the Halling View

It was proposed by the Vice-Chairman, seconded by Chris Herbert, that the above payments be approved.  All agreed with the exception of Trevor Reynolds who abstained.

15. Any other Business

1. Richard Thorne said that he had heard there had been a fire in a shelter in the Village – it was not known if it was a bus shelter or the youth shelter.  The Chairman said that there had been no reports to the Fire Service.

Richard Thorne said that he would like to be considered for the vacancy on the School Governors caused by the resignation of Frank Howard.  Mark Joy said that he would like to be considered for this also.  The Clerk is to contact the school about this and report back.

Ray Jackson said that it was nice to see the Clerk back in post after his accident and acknowledged the work carried out in his absence by the new Assistant Clerk, Trudi Smith.  Ray will be resigning from the Parish Council in the new year as he is moving away from the Village.

Chris Herbert said that the issue of the Roundabout on the A228 has not been resolved and he requested that the Parish Council arranged a meeting with Phil Moore of Medway Council as soon as possible.  Chris said that work on the Bishops Palace site has not been carried out and he understands that Medway Council have not yet confirmed the planning approval for this.  The Parish Council is concerned that the funding for the Valley of Vision will run out before the work is completed.  It was proposed by Chris Herbert, seconded by Shelley Tilbury, that we should contact VoV to see how much money is left.  All agreed.  

The Chairman drew members’ attention to the Pensioners’ evening at the Panto on 8th December. 

Richard Thorne, Shelley Tilbury and Mark Joy offered to help out.

The Chairman and Richard Thorne went to the KALC AGM at Ditton last Saturday.  The Chief Constable of Kent, the Minister for Communities and the Head of Highways at KCC all gave very interesting talks.

It is reported that there was a mugging on the footpath next to the |Baptist Chapel.  The Clerk is to contact the PCSO and Medway Council about the poor lighting in this area.

Parishioners’ Questions

Among the points raised were the following:

(a) Fox on Plough path

(b) Phone box in Lower Halling

(c) Rubbish and recycling collections (put in Agenda for January)

 



^^^ Up to top of page

Last updated ~ 13 January, 2011

Website problems? Please report any broken links to: webmaster.

Website maintenance by Clive Stanley Associates

All rights reserved.