Halling Parish Council logopanorama of Halling from across the River Medway


The Parish Office, Community Centre, High Street, Lower Halling, Rochester, Kent ME2 1BS  (01634) 241551
 

October 2016 Parish Council Meeting Minutes
 
[ Back to: Home Page :: Documents :: Parish Council
]


OCT16/01 

Minutes of the meeting of Halling Parish Council held on 11th October 2016 at the Community Centre

 

Present: Chairman: Chris Herbert (Lower Ward) CH; George Wenham (Upper Ward) GW; Andy Simpson (Lower Ward) AS;  Richard Thorne (Lower Ward) RT; Trevor Reynolds (Upper Ward) TR; Kelly Talbot (Lower Ward) KT and Les Hitchcock (Lower Ward) LH.

Clerk Bill Swan (WS) and 10 Members of the public

 

1.         Apologies for absence :   Matt Fearn and Michael Leverington – reasons accepted

 

2.         Disclosure of any other businessGW – 1 item, WS – 2 items

 

3.         Declaration of any Pecuniary and/or Prejudicial interests      None

 

4.         Public Questions

The following points were raised by the public:

Fence in Vicarage Close circle; sign for Forge Green showing history; Halling Cemetery; football coaching in Upper rec; line marking and 30 mph at St. Andrews; grass cutting in Upper rec.                                                                                                                                                   

5.         Reconvene meeting and minutes of Parish Council meetings

It was proposed by TR, seconded by RT that the minutes of the 12th July meeting be adopted.  All agreed.  LH proposed with KT seconding, that the minutes of the 12th September be adopted.  All agreed.

 

6.         Matters arising from the last minutes

AS – item 14 of September meeting  – could the contract be amended to include training during the week?

 

7.         Vacancies on Parish Council

CH said that as there is a possibility of three applicants for two vacancies,  HPC would have to stick to the established procedure.  GW said that as one of the applicants had had problems in the past with certain Councillors they should not be involved in this particular case.  CH said he will check the procedure with KALC.

 

8.         To appoint delegates to other bodies

CH proposed that any representatives from last year should remain in post until the Annual Parish Council meeting in May 2017.  All agreed

 

9.         Football in Upper rec – proposal by Michael Leverington to make a donation of £250 to Halling Minors FC

CH said that as ML was absent this could not be discussed.  He said that no request has been received from Halling Minors FC with details of costs so until this is received it cannot be considered.   Halling Association are making a donation of £300 to the football club.

 

10.       Report on Marsh and footpaths by George Wenham

GW reported that there are cattle on the north side of the marsh and Andrew Lingham had been given permission to keep them there until 24th October. RT and CH said that there is a problem with cattle being moved frrm place to place on the marsh.

 

11.       Report on Recreation Grounds by George Wenham

GW reported that there have been no problems with parking during football matches at the Upper rec.  CH said that there had been deliberate damage to the fences around the MUGA in the lower rec and the Clerk was instructed to get this seen to as a matter of urgency.

 

12.    Report on Planning Applications received since the September 2016 meeting

RT said that only one has been received :

MC/16/3859  52 Low Meadow  adaptation to extend kitchen

The Parish Council had no observations to make on this application. 

 

13.    Update on Fire Station

CH reported that HPC had been copied into emails between Medway Council and Hicks.  He feels that Medway Council has made a mistake and a meeting has been arranged with Dave Harris on 19th October at 10am at the Gun Wharf. The Clerk will accompany him.

                                                                                                                                             

14     2016 Poppy Collection – door to door collection

It was decided that HPC would not have a door-to door collection this year but the Clerk said that the static boxes would be in the usual places.

 

15.    Halling in Bloom - Richard Thorne

RT hopes to have more success this time around and has consulted the Garden Society and Kevyn Wightman. A figure of £10,000 for putting hanging baskets in place and maintaining them by an outside company for a year has been quoted. Alternately hanging baskets could go on lampposts and 6ft x 2ft planters could go in several places.  Planters are priced between £90 and £260.  Baskets are between £15 and £20 – the question of maintenance has to be considered if it is done in house.  RT said that this could be done for around £2500.  An article about this could be put in December’s Halling View.   The Clerk will check with Medway Council re the use of lampposts.

 

16.   Halling Cemetery.

CH said that the grass had been cut by the Community Payback scheme.  He said that HPC has been berated by the Parochial Church Council and suggested that HPC might take over ownership of the Cemetery. 

 

17.       Christmas Grotto – Chairman

CH reported that the idea for this came from a discussion with Sam of the Five Bells.  As there was no Funday this year there is money left over in the events budget so this could be used to fund a Christmas event.  The idea is to have Father Christmas in the tunnel at the Bishops Palace with live reindeer and a 5 person snow globe and other rides.  There will be refreshments and goodie bags for all the children attending.  It will take place over 4 hours from 4.00 pm.  The cost to HPC will be around £2,600.

The school breaks up on 21st December so the event will be held the following day Thursday 22nd. CH is looking for volunteers to serve on a committee to run this and to help on the day.

It was agreed that the first meeting of this committee should be on 25th October 2016 and to be open to the public.

TR will ask Halling Association to contribute.  The Clerk as RFO is to control the budget.

 

18.       Other Christmas events – tree and carols.

CH said that each year, HPC puts up a tree and arranges a carol service.  The tree will be arriving on the morning of Saturday 3rd December and volunteers are needed to put it up, put the lights on and eventually to take it down.  The lights need to be checked over before the 3rd December. The school, Bo-peeps and the Community Centre will be contacted about having a carol service round the tree on 4th December.

 

19.       Tesco bags of help.

CH said that HPC has been awarded a minimum of £8,000 under this scheme to provide Gym equipment at the Lower Rec.  This can be increased to £10,000 or £12,000 depending on which of three successful applications are voted first, second and third at local Tesco stores.  The dates need to be checked when the vote takes place and also which stores are involved in this area.

 

20 and 21.    Receipts and payments
 

ITEM 20  RECEIPTS

 

 

 

 

 

28-Sep-16

S E Water

42.66

 

Refund

FS

 

28-Sep-16

Total Property

45.00

 

Advert

HV

 

28-Sep-16

Costain

5500.00

 

Ground rent

FS

 

 

 

5587.66

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

ITEM 21 PAYMENTS

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

02-Sep-16

Lorraine Murphy

21.60

 

21.60

Work on Lower & Upper recs

EST

07-Sep-16

Staples UK Ltd

109.00

21.80

130.80

Office consumables

G/A

14-Sep-16

HAGS SMP

43,300.05

8660.01

51,960.06

New play equipment

CAP

09-Sep-16

Lorraine Murphy

54.00

 

54.00

Work on Lower and Upper recs

EST

14-Sep-16

M&M Contractors

1,500.00

300.00

1,800.00

New play equipment

CAP

14-Sep-16

Just Markings

650.00

130.00

780.00

New play equipment

CAP

14-Sep-16

Total Property

122.50

 

122.50

Bench and keys

EST

14-Sep-16

BT

183.53

36.70

220.23

Phone and broadband

G/A

14-Sep-16

Southern Electric

6.19

0.30

6.49

Electricity for Fire Station

FS

14-Sep-16

Medway Council

509.00

 

509.00

Rates on Fire Station

FS

14-Sep-16

Southern Electric

6.57

0.32

6.89

Electricity for Fire Station

FS

19-Sep-16

Lorraine Murphy

28.80

 

28.80

Work on Lower & Upper recs

EST

26-Sep-16

Lorraine Murphy

43.20

 

43.20

Work on Lower & Upper recs

EST

26-Sep-16

Southern Water

4.09

 

4.09

Standing charge

FS

28-Sep-16

Tom Bailey

110.50

 

110.50

Work on Upper rec

EST

 

 

46,649.03

9149.13

55,798.16

 

 

 

It was proposed by GW, seconded by LH that the above payments be ratified.  All agreed.

 

22.       Any other business

The Clerk reminded Members that Reverend Knight had asked for a representative from HPC to read the lesson at the Remembrance service at St John’s church on Sunday 13th November.  He will send out details by email. 

GW said that an anonymous letter had been received about the lack of support by HPC for Upper Halling.  GW considered that residents who have concerns should contact their HPC ward councillors direct as anonymous letters cannot be answered.

LH said that there is an unused piece of land adjoining the north side of the Upper Rec which belongs to Tarmac UK.  It was agreed that the Clerk should contact Tarmac to find out if this parcel of land could be transferred to HPC.

It was agreed to put the question of dog bins in Meadow Crescent on next month’s agenda in view of the conflicting costs provided to LH by Medway Council.

 

There being no the business the meeting closed at 9.05 pm.

 

                                   



up to top of page

Copyright 2016 ~ Halling Parish Council
26-Nov-2016 Website updated by Clive Stanley Associates