Halling Parish Council logopanorama of Halling from across the River Medway

The Parish Office, Community Centre, High Street, Lower Halling, Rochester, Kent ME2 1BS  (01634) 241551

December 2014 Parish Council Meeting Minutes
[ Back to: Home Page :: Documents :: Parish Council

MINUTES of Halling Parish Council held on 10th December 2014 at the Community Centre 

Present: Chair Sally Brady (SB), Vice-Chair Chris Herbert (CH), Les Hitchcock (LH), Bob Morton (BM), Alan Herbert (AH), George Wenham (GW), Jim Sutherland (JS), Mark Joy(MJ), Matt Fearn(MF) and  Andy Simpson (AS)    Bill Swan – Clerk (WS)

8 members of the public. 


1.              Apologies for absence - None


2.              Disclosure of any other Business

LH – 1 item - trees; WS – 1 items -  Assistant Clerk;


3.              Declaration of Pecuniary and Prejudicial Interests  - None    


4.              Adjourn meeting for Parishioners’ Questions

                  The Chair adjourned the meeting and invited questions from the public present.

                  The following points were raised:

                  Lock on gate at Redhill;  road works in the Street; PO box in Upper Halling; Circle in Vicarage Close; Xmas hampers; mechanical sweeper in Upper Halling.


5.              Reconvene meeting and Minutes of Parish Council meetings

                  The Chair reconvened the meeting and asked if the Minutes of the November  2014 meeting were a true record.  GW proposed, seconded by LH, that they be accepted.  All were in favour and the Chair duly signed them.


6.              Matters Arising from Minutes of last meeting

                  JS asked about the traffic survey could the stats show the situation every hour.  The Clerk will ask Medway Council for this.   AS said it was not just about speed but the hazards facing drivers.


7.           Vote of Censure against Mark Joy

 It was decided to hold this item over until later in the meeting at the request of MJ who left the meeting at this point.


8.              Halling Marsh and footpaths

                  Barry Barnes said that the paths are muddy at this time of year and some dog owners are moving the stakes to avoid the mud at the Maximilian entrance. GW advised walkers to wait until the weather improves.  GW said that the Environment Agency have been clearing the river bank.  The Clerk said that the KWFA have not yet replied to his letter about the small piece of land.  It was suggested that he contact Alan Jarrett direct.  

9.              Recreation Grounds

                  JS reported that the meeting of the working party due on 4th December was postponed because of the death of Maria’s mother.  It is hope to arrange another meeting before Christmas.   


                  MJ came back into the meeting at this point.


7                Vote of censure against Councillor Mark Joy

                  GW had proposed this on the grounds of Mark Joy’s behaviour at meetings and other factors.

                  GW said that MJ had behaved badly towards the public at meetings and had previously caused Kevyn Wightman to resign by bullying behaviour.  When he resigned as Chairman he stormed out of the meeting   and said “I cannot work with you lot”   There have also been emails sent by MJ querying the Clerks’ ability to do their jobs.  GW is of the opinion that this was a factor  in the Assistant Clerk’s resignation.  GW is appalled at MJ’s approach and this has caused bitterness on the Council .   JS agreed with GW but MF felt that this should not have been brought to the meeting.  SB read out an email which  Barry Barnes had sent to the Clerks confirming GW’s statement.

                  GW then proposed the motion and this was seconded by JS.  A vote was then taken and SB, JS, LH, BM, AH, and GW voted in favour of the motion with MF voting against.  CH and AS abstained.  MJ asked for the reasons why there was this motion but as it was clear from GW’s statement, nothing further would be provided.


10.            Planning

                  Two applications had been received

MC/14/3408 Single storey side extension  21 The Street, Upper Halling

MC/14/3415 hard standing -  9 Meadow Close, Upper Halling.

MF has visited both locations and considers there are no problems with these.


11.            Christmas Market and switching on of lights

SB reported that it was a brilliant day and Trayc Randall said that £760 had been raised for  charity.  The traders were very pleased with the event.  SB read out Trudi Smith’s accounts which showed that the event came in under budget.


12.            Redrow Homes

SB said she had no update but MJ asked about the provision of football pitches.  New Town Social Club’s team at present play in Strood but would like a full size pitch in Halling. He said that that a full size pitch could also be used for two mini soccer pitches.  SB will talk to Redrow about this.


13             Purchase of Halling Fire Station

                  CH said that he met with the planners from Medway Council on 24th November to clear up the Section 106 situation.  HPC’s Solicitors have been told to go ahead with the purchase and he and the Clerk will arrange to see our Solicitor before Christmas to hurry things up with KFRS.


14.            Amendment to Standing Orders.

After discussion it was proposed by MJ, seconded by CH, that the amendment as moved be adopted.  All agreed apart from JS who abstained.

15.            Receipts

See attached spreadsheet


16.            Payments

                  See attached spreadsheet.

                  It was proposed by LH, seconded by CH that the payments be ratified.  All agreed


17.         Dates of forthcoming meetings of the Parish Council.

Wednesday 14th January 2015 at the Community Centre at 7.30 pm.


19.        Any other Business

LH said that 2 oak trees have been planted in the Lower rec. and two also at the top of Stake Lane.  Thanks to Kevyn Wightman’s working party.

The Youth Club raised £762.52 for Children in Need.

AS said that KCC is switching off street lighting but he is not aware that Medway Council will be following suit.  Are there options for CCTV in the Village.

He is also concerned about the parking on Double Yellow lines, particularly near the school and asked if the PCSO could be contacted about this.

 The Clerk also announced that his Assistant, Trudi Smith is reconsidering her resignation and would be prepared to assist  the Clerk but on a reduced basis..                                                    


The meeting closed at 8.45 pm



up to top of page

Copyright 2014/2015 ~ Halling Parish Council
U14-Jan-2015dDate -->     by Clive Stanley Associates