Minutes of Halling Parish Council held on 8th April 2014 at the Jubilee Hall
Present: Sally Brady (SB), in Chair, Les Hitchcock (LH), Chris Herbert(CH), Kevyn Wightman (KW); Jim Sutherland (JS); Bob Morton(BM) George Wenham(GW), Matt Fearn (MF) Mark Joy (MJ), Alan Herbert (AH) Trudi Smith Assistant Clerk (TS) & 7 members of the public.
2. Disclosure of any other business
JS – 1 GP Surgery
SB – 1 Halling Association Update
TS – 1 Funding Applications
3. Declaration of Pecuniary and Prejudicial Interests
MF expressed a Prejudicial interest in White Pit and Cemex matters
4. Parishioners’ Questions
1. Notices of works within the village
2. Parking Issues
3. Cemetery gravestones and dogs
4. Pot holes in service roads
5. Village PCSO
5. Matters Arising from Minutes of last meeting
Item 19. Traffic Survey – still not received from Medway Council - Assistant Clerk to Chase
It was proposed by LH and seconded by CH that the minutes were a true record of March 2014 meeting. All agreed and the Vice Chairman duly signed them.
6. Fire Station Purchase
CH has spoken with the Council’s solicitor to clarify one of the covenants of sale namely the property should be retained for community use and that the covenants in the deed are contradictory. CH requested the solicitor approach KFRS to remove the covenants. He also informed the meeting that the Overage are more beneficial to us than first thought as we will only need to pass over 8.7% of the sale price and not the difference of 50% of the difference between the purchase and sale price.
7. White Pit
Cllr KW updated those present on a recent site visit and the possibilities of collaboration with other agencies and funding opportunities if we continue the lease from Cemex. Clarification is needed on who owns the fencing and is responsible for public liability on the site. Assistant Clerk to investigate and find out if the kilns hold historical interest.
8. Halling Marsh
KW reported on the scrapes and difficult access. She recommended the management plan be left in the office. Mr Lingham has been informed of the HPC’s decision to not graze cattle this year due to the adverse weather affecting the area and a letter has been received in response. SB read out details of grazing rights and other marsh issues were discussed. It was agreed that the proposal from previous meeting to remain the same for this year.
LH to check if the remaining lock belongs to HPC or Mr Lingham.
9. Bishop’s Palace
SB has spoken to Halling Association and advised KW to approach them with funding of plants for the site.
10. Annual Parish Meeting
TS gave update of replies and confirmed the APM on 26th April at the Jubilee Hall will be well attended. It was proposed by SB, seconded by JR and all in favour that flyers be delivered to everyone informing them of the meeting and for Paula Wilkins-Smith to be approached to deliver them at a cost no more than £60.
11. Quiz Night
MJ updated those present that the quiz night will proceed at the Jubilee Hall on 26th April and asked if the details could also go on the flyer. Assistant Clerk to add.
Trudi to speak to Sam Walsh with dates for first committee meeting – date of Funday tba
13. WW1 Commemorations
Thoughts expressed that the commemorations should not be incorporated with the Funday due to time limitations and planned to coincide with Remembrance Day and the poppy collections.
Trudi to approach WI, Halara and the School for suggestions on how the village wish to mark the occasion.
JR informed the council that the Halling Choir is already on board.
14. Community Rail Partnership
BM was unwell and unable to make the meeting but has been in contact with them. Nothing to report at this meeting.
15. KALC Local Community Committee & Rural Liaison Group - Vacancy
JR volunteered to be the Council representative.
16. KALC membership Renewal 2014/15
Renewal is a same cost as last year. SB proposed to renew our membership, seconded by BM and all in favour.
Rural Liaison Grant £6,991.09
Medway Council precept £40,680
StreetCops Trust donation £100
CH informed the meeting that there was £130,147 in the bank which includes a balance of £30K remaining from 2013/14 funds.
Proposed by LH, seconded by MJ, all in favour of the payments being agreed except KW who was against payment for spraying in the White Pit which is an SSSI site and should not be sprayed. TS to inform village gardener.
JS raised the issues surrounding the doctor’s surgery and application for pharmacy licence. The licence has been granted to the Cuxton PO but has gone to appeal. JS asked if this could be raised as an agenda item at the next meeting and invite a representative from the Surgery to attend.
SB gave those present an update of the last Halling Association meeting and explained there were still funds available from them. It was noted that the Halling Weather man would be a suitable candidate to request funding as he used private funds to serve the village and that TS was asked to contact him.
TS informed the meeting that work had started on the upper rec as all funds were in. That the office had received the quote from Fawns in respect of the lower rec wooden trail and an application had been sent to RLG for further funding for refurbishment of existing play. As money had already been agreed for the installation of the wooden trail, it was decided to go ahead as soon as possible.
20. Dates of upcoming Meetings of the Parish Council
Annual Parish Meeting – 26th April 14 Jubilee Hall - 12pm
HPC meeting – 7 May 14 Community Centre – 7.30pm
Meeting finished 8.35pm
Copyright 2014 ~ Halling Parish Council